Monday, November 9, 2009

MONDAY'S MARKETPLACE at OFG on ETSY - FEATURED ARTIST

Each Monday, I'll be featuring a member from The Old Farmhouse Gathering Team on Etsy. These are some very talented artisans who create everything from Primitive to Shabby Chic, with an old fashioned flair!


This week it is truly my pleasure to introduce to you my fellow OFG sister, Barb King of Prairie Harvest Arts.

Below is a sample of her work and you can see everything on Etsy at:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/prairieharvestarts










~INTERVIEW with BARB~




1. What is the name of your Etsy shop and why did you choose that name?


Prairie Harvest Arts is the name of my Etsy shop as well as my website. I am so lucky to live on a farm and the harvest time is when we see the fruit of our labor. I love seeing the leaves turn color, the scent of autumn in the air and the few quiet moments when you look at the harvested fields, the full pantry and the feeling of accomplishment, knowing that you did the best for your family. SO I live on the prairie and love the harvest and art, thus Prairie Harvest Arts.


2. How long have you been on Etsy?


I have been a member since February 1, 2008.


3. What type of items do you offer?


I enjoy offering primitive and Americana folk art, sometimes in a form to what our predecessors created and sometimes with my own interpretation of what they did, appreciated or how they lived.


4. How long have you been crafting?


I have been sewing and painting since I was a child. We were always encouraged to be creative, play outside or at least “do something.” Sitting around was not part of our way of life.


5. Who or What inspires you?


I am so lucky. Every generation has been an inspiration to the following members of the family. Great Grandma Amelia came to the US at age 11, in the 1800s, by herself, worked hard and eventually married Julius Kringle (As in Santa Claus). As homesteaders, they worked hard and she was known for her beautiful handwork. She also made the best soap, from what I was told. Her daughter, Alice was superb knitter and did crocheted items we still enjoy. My mom was and is incredible. She encouraged us to create and always to gain new skills. She considered every part of life to be a piece of art that deserved your greatest attention and effort. She’s a od mom and my best friend.


6. What is your favorite item in your shop and why?


Right now my favorite item is the Pumpkins and Bittersweet. I think it would be considered to be a fabric sculpture. There are three pumpkins with a quilted crow sitting at the top. Bittersweet (which used to grow along the roadside everywhere-but no more) is made from hand painted muslin and beads. There is a great deal of detail on every part of the sculpture.


7. Other places where you can be found (Ebay, webstore, blog)


I can also be found at:Website: http://prairieharvestarts.comArtfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PrairieHarvestArts



Crafty Avenue:





2 comments:

  1. Yeah Barb! Wow, she's been doing this all her life. How cool is that:) She's a sweety. Thanks for featuring her Joan. You're a sweety too! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to do this. You are so sweet and it is so appreciated! I love your blog!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete